Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Year in Review

Heh heh...silly me. I really did bring home my paper on which I had written down all of last years events yesterday. But, of course, I didn't realize it until I was already ready to head up to bed. Hey, but at least I got to the computer tonight to actually type it up, right?

So without further ado...my 2009 in review...

January: I spent New Year's Eve hanging out with some great friends over at Val's, while Ward was away in Korea for work. Great start to the year, right? He called me at like 9am New Year's Eve, my time to wish me Happy New Year! since it's was already midnight in Korea! I lost my previous promotion at work because of cut backs. That was a bummer. At least they only took my title...and my office... :o/ We started on Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover this month. Time to get that budget in gear!!

February: Go figure, the second holiday of the year, and Ward is gone again. But this time, I spent Valentine's Day here while the hubs was in Paris! Of all places, he has to go to the 'City of Love', on Valentine's no less, without me! At least I was able to convince Bailey to go out to see an old friend's band play at a local bar and grill. It was some wonderful girl time. :o) Also, this month, I finally quit the gym. Why pay $150 a month for something I was barely utilizing?? And most notable this month, I started this here blog!

March: This month, Ward and I celebrated 3 lovely years of marriage by spending a long weekend in Florida attending one of my cousin's weddings. It was quite a lovely little vacation. And a glorious wedding...the $100,000+ kind... At least I don't think Ward had to leave the country this month.

April: The most noteworthy event of April, as far as I can remember, was Ward having to go to Africa. He and his boss spent a week flitting around Europe before they finally arrived to spend another week in Africa. That was an interesting trip for him, to say the least. I'm pretty sure this is the month, while Ward was away, that I started reading the Twilight series. I'm also pretty sure I read the entire 2400+ page series in less than two weeks.

May: I don't think too much happened in May. We celebrated Val and Tony's birthday's. I got super excited to go see a Jason Aldean concert with some friends, but it ended up getting rained out. Total bummer.

June: June marked the first time Ward had to go to Brazil. He was gone for two long weeks. Umm...other than that...I hosted Bunco this month. Not sure if I did anything else... For some reason, I want to say I re-read the Twilight series again this month. I'm sick, I know...

July: This month, Ward and I got to spend a blissful 5 days on the beaches of the Dominican Republic with superb company. We also marked vacation as our official start to trying to get pregnant! I also got my iPhone this month! That was an exciting day for me. :o)

August: Ward spent some more time in Brazil this month. But we also were able to take a few days off from work and spend time with family up in Iowa for the Sweet Corn Festival. That was quite a nice time. I really enjoyed my Volvo convertible rental car, too.

September: We spent a nice day at the beach for Labor Day. And what a lovely day it was. Everyone with their dogs, just having a nice relaxing time. My best friend found out she was pregnant this month! That was exciting news. And Ward's pretty sure he went to Brazil again this month, too.

October: We did the 5k for the Susan G. Komen foundation in downtown Houston. I also did a 1 mile walk on the the beach with the dogs and my mom for the Alzheimer's Foundation. Ward went to Brazil, yet again, but this time he had to be down there for his birthday. :o( So we celebrated when he got back.

November: This month marked MY birthday! The big 2-7. How time flies! Bailey, Val, Val's sis-in-law, and I waited in line for two hours to see New Moon the day it came out. And well worth the wait, I might add! And in honor of the second movie in the saga coming out, I of course re-re-read the entire series of books...yet again. And still just as good the third time around! Lol! Oh yeah, Thanksgiving was this month and Ward's grandparents came out from California so it was nice to spend a little time with them while they were here.

December: December began with us having to put a brand new transmission in my car. My three and a half year old car. My only 47,000 miles on it car. Yeah, that sucked. At least we only had to spend about $875 on it since we're pretty sure the dealership screwed it up in the first place since it went out not one week after they "repaired" a transmission fluid leak. Uh huh. I also learned this month that I have a big ol' cyst in my mouth. Back under the gums where one of my wisdom teeth had been removed from. Awesome. And Ward took the last week of the month off of work to do some projects around the house. His brother, being on break from school, helped out so we got a ton of painting done and the flooring in the dining room FINALLY got laid. Pretty sure we bought that flooring in February. Of 2008. At least we ended the year on a good note, we bought me a new car on New Year's Eve!

Help me out, Val, did I miss anything?? I have such a horrible memory. Most of this stuff I only remembered because I had written down in my calendar! Goodness me.

Overall, it was a pretty lackluster year. A few ups...lots of downs. Some highs...lots of lows. I will say though, for as much as I thought 2009 pretty much sucked, there was plenty to be thankful for. We both have jobs, we have a roof over our head and food on our table (and in our dog bowls), we reined in our spending and saved a ton this year, and we even got to spend two great vacations with friends AND with family. So that, my friends, can sure make for a great year.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I can't think of anything you missed off the top of my head...

Sounds great! It was a lackluster year, so here's to a great 2010~