Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Priorities

Hello all! Happy Tuesday to you! I hope that today is finding you all very well. I’m doing pretty good myself. I think I finally got (almost) enough sleep last night. I didn’t wake up quite so groggy, though I did stay in bed about 15min. after my alarm went off. I was absolutely exhausted last night. We went to Pappasito’s for dinner with John’s mom, dad, his dad’s wife, and his brother for his brother’s 21st birthday. We finished up about 8:30pm and I really just wanted to go straight home and go to bed, but his mom asked us to come back to her house for cake. So of course we did. I didn’t even have any cake. I was too full from dinner (of which I only ate half in the first place). (Go me on portion control!) Anywho…when we got there I laid on the couch for a few minutes then sat in the kitchen for a bit while they had cake. We ended up leaving there about 9:45pm and I slept the half hour home and went straight to bed when we finally got home. I’m sure some people might wonder, being as exhausted as I am, if I’m pregnant, but I’m pretty certain I’m not. With my hormonal challenges, and the fact I don’t want to spend a fortune on pregnancy tests, I decided maybe I’ll just wait for the tell-tale sore breasts as my indicator. Oh, please tell me that that’s a universal sign and everyone gets sore breasts when they get pregnant! I need something definitive! Ugh…why can’t I just be normal and wait for a missed period?

Wow…I got WAY off subject there! Sorry ‘bout that. I was actually meaning to talk about priorities today. My life priorities. We’ve been going through the book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People during our weekly staff meetings. And we have a big discussion each week. It really is like a book club, I swear. But we talk about not just work related things, but also things in our own lives. A big principle in the book is balancing the four dimensions of your life: physical, spiritual, mental, social/emotional. While reading this, I was realizing that for a while I had been focusing mainly on work. I went to work, I went home, I slept, I went to work…  This caused me to not work out, gain weight, be unhappy, not hang out much with friends or family. Lately, however, I’ve been shifting my focus. I started working out, with friends even. I started cooking more to make healthier meals. I started thinking more about life outside of work rather than things that were happening at work. I basically started to realize that the priority in my life is NOT work. I’m becoming more family oriented. And especially with wanting to start a family soon, I want to be home preparing the house, and reading books, and checking out hospitals…  If I didn’t have to work anymore, I probably wouldn’t. Not because I don’t like working, but because it’s just not as important to me as other things, such as my family, my house, and my friends. And I think that this is causing me to be more distracted at work. I’d much rather be doing something more related to more important things in my life. I’m not giving the same effort as I used to and don’t do projects with as much gusto. I know it’s affecting my work, but I just can’t help it. I just don’t want to be here as much as I want to be at home doing things for my family. And I know that’s horrible…mostly for the fact that at this point in our lives I HAVE to be working. We need the income.

So for now, I’ll just have to keep forcing myself to come to work and be productive and hope that John gets a raise soon. :o)

Oh, BTW, John’s going back to Brazil on Sunday and won’t be back until Aug. 10th…we leave for Iowa on Aug. 12th! Will the madness never end??

1 comment:

Misty said...

Hey! I never really had sore boobs :) I got EXHAUSTED and I broke out...that's how I knew I was pregnant. And another random side note, guess what class I was taking when I found out I was pregnant with C??? 7 habits ;)