Sunday, July 26, 2009

First morning alone.

Okay, so yes, I haven't been around quite as much as usual, but this story I just had to share. I seriously could not make this up if I tried. Leave it to me...

If you've been following my tweets, then you already know that John left again last night for Brazil. This time he'll be gone about 2 1/2 weeks. Now, why my first morning alone had to be so unusal, I haven't the slightest idea.

The morning started out pretty routine. Got up, let the dogs out, fed dogs, tried to go back to sleep...couldn't fall asleep so just laid in bed for an hour learning more stuff on my iPhone. Once my tummy started grumbling I decided I better go ahead and get up and start my day. Lots to do when you're the only one home! I went downstairs to get some breakfast. Thought I'd have some peanut butter toast...haven't had it in a while...sounded good. So I take my slice of bread and put it in the toaster. Get the peanut butter and stand and wait for the toast to pop up. Now, I've made toast/waffles plenty of times with said toaster. All the while with no incident. This morning however, said toaster had other plans. As I stand waiting, I turn around and talk to Cocoa who's laying on the kitchen floor. When the toast pops, it startles us both. I turn around to find an empty toaster.

Umm....

My toaster (which coincidentally sits on the edge of the counter right next to the fridge) has decided to completely pop the toast right up out of it. In which case it, of course, pops right over the edge of the counter and BEHIND THE REFRIGERATOR. Now, of course, I don't want toast growing old and moldy behind my fridge attracting bugs, so I struggle with the fridge to roll it out of way so I can get to the toast. Well, I can't get it all the way out so I wind up having to use a pair of tongs, while stretching as far as I can over the side of the counter around behind the fridge to rescue my escaped toast, which is now completely covered in dust and dog hair. Major, who has been watching intently this whole time, takes one look at my hairy toast on the way to the trash and decides it looks just mouthwatering. He takes a bite. Cocoa wants in on the action and before I know it, I'm standing in front of the trash can with an empty tongs. Eh...if the dogs think hairy toast is a treat, who am I to stand in the way.

So, at this point the story should be over. I did, however, still need to move the fridge back into its place. No prob, right? Rolled it out, just have to roll it back in. Well. Would have been no problem if the wheels on the darn thing hadn't gotten stuck in the grout line of the tile! So I start pushing and pushing and about knock the fridge right over. Just as I'm about to give up and am resolving myself to having the refrigerator sticking out into the walkway for 2 1/2 weeks until John can come home and move it, I finally get one corner to budge just enough to get one wheel out of the grout line. So with just a little more nudging, I get the other wheel out and am finally able to roll it back into place.

That toaster hadn't heard the last of me, yet. I DID have peanut butter toast for breakfast! (Though I did stick my knife over top of the toaster before it popped the toast this time...)

2 comments:

Renee said...

Pretty funny- sounds straight out of a comic strip!

Valerie said...

That's hilarious Julie!