Thursday, August 6, 2009

In his absence.

Now that my husband is off flitting about the world for 2 weeks at a time, I'm finding that I'm becoming way more independent. Don't get me wrong, I'm way happier when he IS home, but while he's gone, life still must go on and I may have to take on roles I wouldn't normally when he is at home. But so it seems, that I actually tend to get MORE done when he's GONE. Is that terrible? Case in point:

One side of our fence has been leaning slightly since the hurricane. John's been talking the past few months about just going ahead and hiring someone to come re-level it. Never actually happened. So when the neighbor brought it up again the other night (after I had already noticed it was leaning even FURTHER) I decided I HAD to do something about it. And since I work for a homebuilder, I have connections to fence people like that. (Score 1 for Julie!) Talked to my friend in Purchasing, got the fence guys number, and called him up and let him know what we needed. He went by the house and took a look, called back and said it would cost about $150-$200 (Score 2 for Julie for getting homebuilder pricing!), and they could be out to fix it on Monday. My reply, "Sounds GREAT." So after months of talk about getting the fence fixed, who comes to the rescue and finally gets someone to come do it, within the week, no less?? Yep, that would be me. (Score 3 for Julie for being so AWESOME! Haha!)

I mean, even the trash and recycling get taken out more consistently when it is I alone who must get the job done. While it is nice to delegate jobs to my husband, I'm coming to learn that said job gets done in much more timely fashion if I just take care of it myself. HOWEVER, I will not keep doing EVERYTHING around the house when my husband is at home. Oh no. He will soon learn to start doing the things I ask of him on MY time rather than his own and we will have much more harmony around our house. We've gotten to the point where we can't just keep "talking" about doing things. We have to start "doing" them.

Being more independent lately, I have become a "can do" lady! I will no longer make excuses for things I have not done. I'll just DO them!

I'm feeling so empowered! Maybe this feeling will get me through the rest of this miserable day at work!! :o)

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I know exactly what you mean! Not that I enjoy my husband being gone, but it's nice to be reminded how capable we really are. ;-) Good for you for getting so much accomplished on your own!