Thursday, August 6, 2009

So stoked!

As the day wore on yesterday, I more and more felt like NOT going to CardioSalsa class last night. I had promised myself that I would only skip class if I had a really good reason. Well, I convinced myself that watering the lawn, updating our budget for July, signing up for the 5k next weekend at the Sweet Corn Festival and walking the dogs was way more important than class. And yay for me for actually doing ALL of those things over the course of the evening! I watered the entire backyard which has been so thirsty. Got the budget done for July. Got the forms filled out for the 5k and put in the mail. Even walked the dogs for half an hour. (It was 9:45pm before we went for that walk, but hey, we still did it)

So what am I totally stoked about? Our budget! July was pretty darn crazy. John was in Brazil until a few days before we left for our vacation. Then we had vacation. Then John left for Brazil again just a week and a half after we got home. I don't think we had one completely normal week the entire month. So I was a little nervous to update our spreadsheet with July's results. After downloading our bank and credit cards statements, and making sure I entered in every last transaction, I was actually quite surprised by the results. Turns out we only spent $100 more than we took in during our crazy month of July...but that isn't even the truth. See...that's figuring in the entire $1200 we took out in cash for vacation. We still have about half of that left over in cash that I never put back in the bank because John took most of it to Brazil (but he gets reimbursed for that through work so it doesn't really count as being spent). So in reality, we probably spent about $500 LESS than what we brought in. After a super crazy month, I thought that was absolutely fantastic! We've had a surplus in our budget the past few months that I had yet to transfer to savings because I knew July would be crazy so I wanted it in checking "just in case", but after all was said and done, we have all of that surplus still left over! So that makes me really happy to know we didn't blow a whole bunch of extra money in one month!

Yeah, I know, it's not a particularly exciting post, but it was exciting to me so I just had to share! :o) Thanks for reading!

No comments: