Monday, August 24, 2009

Will it work? I sure hope so!

Like I’ve been saying for the last while, we’ve been reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People workbook at work. So far, we’ve been discussing our roles, goals, purpose in life…you know…deep stuff. While it's not really helping in making me more effective at work, it is having a positive effect (though not one that I want to share with my co-workers and my boss!).

Now, I don’t know if this would happen for everyone, but all this reading about what I want out of life and where I’m headed has really got me thinking about where I want to be in the future. And it sure isn’t at the job I’m at right now! :o)

This afternoon, I was reading through the next chapter to start preparing for our meeting tomorrow and I started putting a plan together for my life. The other day I talked about starting my own Etsy store. And with other recent events, I’ve decided on a plan that works great for me. (Now to just convince my husband!)

Here’s my plan:

Over the next few months, we’ll continue working on all those house projects we’ve got going on so that I can finally feel like I’ve moved into my house (2 ½ years later…). Once that’s all done, then I can really start to focus on making items that I would like to sell in my store. I can make more jewelry, practice my sewing, and maybe even come up with some new ideas! Then I can open my store. I’d like to get a few things made and start thinking of my pricing and policies and all that before I officially open up. But ideally, I’d like to open before the end of the year. That’s my goal. I’ll continue working at my current job and give up the new job search because ideally I’ll only have to keep working for another year or so. (That’s the last part of my plan) Once our first baby arrives (hopefully in the next year or so), I would like to then quit working my day job and have my only income coming from my store.

Now I know that my Etsy store won’t make me probably even a quarter of the amount I make right now, but I’m okay with that. I’d rather live more frugally than continue slaving away at a job I’m not super happy with all the while having some daycare raise my children.

What’s that old saying? “I’d rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.” Or something along those lines. Hubby, of course, would rather be rich so he can spend bukoos of money and have all his “toys”, but we all know who runs the show around here. :o)

And hey, if hubby’s salary gets all the bills paid, maybe my little bit of extra on the side will be fine enough to keep us happy.

Now, I’m off to work a bit more on the guest room before I collapse into bed for the night.

I wish that I could write more, but with the new crackdown on the internet at work, it’s so much harder. Bare with me guys, I’ll try to post as often as I can!

No comments: