Thursday, March 26, 2009

Home Improvements

As some of you know, John and I started last year on a laundry list of home improvements we wanted to do at our house. Yes, even with a brand new house, we had a ton we wanted to change! Our first big feat was adding the patio slab in the back. 14’ x 20’. It’s a monster of a slab. We did that about 6months after we moved in. Then we wanted to rip up all the carpet downstairs and put down wood laminate flooring. So last February we went out and bought all the flooring. Then in June (yes, 4 months AFTER we bought it) we finally got around to putting the new floor in, but only in the Living Room. All the while I’ve been doing random painting and sprucing in other areas. Now here we are over a year after we bought this wood flooring and it is yet to be completed. The closet under the stairs needs to be finished and we need to do the Dining Room. One other item on my wish list is to add a recessed can light over our kitchen sink and put in some under cabinet lighting. Back in November I painted the kitchen, but not the ceiling as I was waiting until the light was put in and all the sheetrock repaired from that project.

John and I sat down last night and talked about all these projects and when we could do them. Mostly because I said I would be okay with him leaving the country for two weeks if he finished some of my projects that have been hanging out for like a year and a half now! So FINALLY, starting bright and early Saturday morning, John will start working on putting in the light over the sink! Since it is on the first floor of a two story house, we don’t know how difficult it will be having to thread wires around through joists and what-not, but the tentative plan is for him to put in the light over the sink, repair the sheetrock, install the under cabinet lights (we’re just getting the plug in kind, so that should be pretty easy), then start on finishing up the flooring in the closet. So while he is working on the flooring, I can paint the kitchen ceiling and do some caulk and paint touchups on the base and trim. Then the kitchen will be complete (and hopefully the closet floor)!

My original goal was to have all of our home improvement projects finished by this summer when we went on vacation, but it’s looking like that might not happen. But one of the biggest reasons is because we started out Total Money Makeover, so we have been trying to spend less money. But we already have all the supplies to complete the kitchen light, ceiling paint, and closet flooring, so we just need to do it!

Saturday cannot come soon enough! I never thought I would be so excited for someone to rip a hole in my ceiling! J

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Look at your blog!!! It looks soooooo good!! Great job!