Monday, September 14, 2009

I love to read.

For anyone who doesn’t know, I love to read. One of the biggest draws for me to start blogging was realizing there was this whole blogosphere of people out there with their own stories for me to read. I mean, not only could I write my own story, but I had all kinds of new stories to discover as well. And I thank you all for having great stories to share.

I’m also thankful that I’ve had the opportunity to read more as of late. And really, my love for reading was reignited once I was finally convinced to read the Twilight series. Now, believe me, if you have not read these books, do it. Seriously. Even if you don’t like to read, these books will make you love reading. They are that good.

Well, I think that everyone has noticed, since the success of Twilight, all the vampire themed books/shows/movies out there right now. One of which is the new series The Vampire Diaries on the CW network. I don’t watch much CW so I didn’t really hear much about this show. But the premier was on the other night when John was working late, and I was a little intrigued. If you don’t know about the show, it’s an adaptation of the book series by the same name which was published back in the early 1990s. And from my understanding, it has a lot of the same premise of Twilight. Set in high school. Vampire boy, human girl. Vampire boy doesn’t drink human blood, etc. People started talking about it being a ripoff of Twilight. Well, the books were published way before Twilight was even an idea. Now, I haven’t read the books, but it does seem like the characters in the show act very similar to the characters from the Twilight movie. (Which is where the “ripoff” might actually come into play here…) Anywho…that got me really interested to know the Vampire Diaries story from the books. Since I don’t want to reread the Twilight series again until November (though I’m totally wanting to right now, especially after the new trailer from New Moon last night!!! But that’s a topic for another post…), I’m in desperate need for some new books to read right now, and hey, what’s better than a super similar story to ease my need for some good Twilight-edness right now? Right? Right?

Now I don’t necessarily want to run out and spend a bunch of money on some new books that I may or may not love enough to purchase. So, that brings me to my second point of this post. I think I’m going to visit my local library and get a library card this week! I’ve lived in my current city for about 2 ½ years now and have not once visited the library. If I ever wanted a new book to read, I’d just go to the bookstore and buy one I thought looked good. But now, in my extra frugal-ness these days, I don’t want to do that anymore. I’ve bought more than a couple books in the past that I don’t ever plan on rereading so why do I need to own them?? I don’t. I would much rather go check out books for free at the library. So then it doesn’t matter if I like the book or not, I just return it to the library, no harm done. When I do check one out that I absolutely love and plan to reread, I can start making a list of those books so I can either go buy them at some point, or maybe try to get them as birthday or Christmas gifts. Sounds like a plan to me.

Since John left for Brazil again last night and won’t be home until this weekend, I think I may make my inaugural trip to the library this week. I checked out the website this morning to get the hours and all that and saw they even have a book club group that meets each month. As long as it’s not a bunch of old blue hair ladies in the group, maybe I can think about joining. (I’d hate to be the youngest person by like 20+ years…that may by a little awkward) But yeah, that may be fun.

What about y’all? Do you visit your local library?

1 comment:

~**Dawn**~ said...

I love to read too. And I like having a variety of "reading media" available to me, depending on my mood & how much time I have, etc. (Books, magazines, blogs...) I do have a library card but it doesn't get much use during baseball season. I tend to focus more on quick, "controlled" reading (blogs & magazines) and only read a chapter of a book for a few minutes before I fall asleep, so I tend to read books I own (ie with no due date). I have a much better attention span during non-baseball season.