Monday, June 1, 2009

Chicken Salsa Verde Enchiladas

As promised, here is the recipe I found for Chicken Salsa Verde Enchiladas. I'll copy the exact recipe, and then at the bottom let you know what I would do to change it up next time I make it. Oh, mind you, I don't care for spicy, so these really aren't spicy, so if you like spicy, you'll have to add your own peppers, or hot salsa verde.

Salsa Verde Enchiladas - Serves 8

3 c. cooked chicken, shredded
2 (16oz) jars salsa verde (such as Herdez brand)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbls. lime juice
1/4 c. cilantro leaf, chopped
16 corn tortillas
8oz. sour cream (reduced fat)
1/2 c. chicken broth
8oz. shredded cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Place chicken in a medium bowl. Stir 1 cup salsa into chicken to evenly coat. Stir in galric powder and salt/pepper to taste.
3. Grease 13x9 pan and set aside.
4. In 12" skillet, heat remaining salsa and lime juice to boiling on medium high. Boil 2 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 Tbls. cilantro; keep warm over very low heat.
5. With tongs, place 1 tortilla in salsa mixutre; heat 10 seconds. Place tortilla on wax paper; top with about 1/3 cup chicken mixture. Roll up tortilla and place, seam side down, in prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
6. Stir sour cream and broth into remaining salsa mixture in skillet. Spoon over filled tortillas. Cover with foil and bake 15min. Remove foil; sprinkle with cheese and 1 Tbls. cilantro. Bake 5 min.

Okay, now for my version:
I would leave out the lime and the chicken broth next time. The salsa verde I bought I think had enough of a lime flavor. And the chicken broth thinned out the remaining sauce way too much. I would have liked less, thicker sauce, but wound up with too much thin sauce. I did not use wax paper to roll my enchiladas, I just used a plate. I also mixed all the cilantro in with the sauce, and did not sprinkle any of top. But overall, good enough to make again with these few tweaks of mine. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

whoa...that looks way too good. looks like we are having enchiladas tonight! thanks for sharing! xoxo