Monday, June 8, 2009

I've been domesticated.

I’ve been feeling quite domestic lately. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’ve always been the one to cook and clean and do laundry and all that, but they’ve always been “chores”. Things I had to do. But lately, it’s more a need, a want, even. I want to cook a nice dinner every night with my husband. I want to do all the laundry so we can walk in the bathroom. I want to make the bed so it’s look nice and pretty when I get ready to go back to sleep. I want to sweep the floor instead of continuing to ignore the crackle of dirt against the tile under my shoes. I want to vacuum the carpet instead of refusing to believe that it’s covered in dog hair that I can’t see. I want to put things away where the go so the house is always tidy.

What’s happened to me?

John was gone Thursday-Saturday at a fishing tournament so I thought, great! I’ll have all this time to clean and read and the house will be spotless when he returns on Sunday. Saturday rolls around and I realized there really wasn’t that much for me to do! I did have lots of laundry, so I worked on that. I hadn’t vacuumed our room in a while, so I did that. I changed the sheets. I swept the floors downstairs. But other than that, which obviously didn’t take too much time since I was still able to read about 1200 pages in two books over the weekend, I didn’t have much else to do around the house. I had picked up and straightened a lot last weekend and I realized that I had kept the house tidy like that all week! That usually never happens!! But I was quite pleased with myself. That’s how I want to live! I want to keep the house straightened all week so I have less work to do on the weekends.

Could this have to do with the fact that we want to start expanding our family sometime soon? Preparing myself for baby, when I’ll have even less time for all my housely duties? Well, whatever the reason, I like it. I like knowing that if someone randomly stopped by to say hello, I wouldn’t be completely embarrassed for them to come in! And I sure as heck plan to keep it that way!

1 comment:

Fidgeting Gidget said...

Whatever virus you've caught that makes you want to clean stuff and be all domestic---can you bottle it up and send me some? I wish I liked to do that stuff, I WANT to like to do that stuff, but I just don't. I am totally intimidated by the fact that when I have a baby, I'll have even less time to do it! I am hereby inspired!