Monday, June 15, 2009

Oh yeah, it's Monday...

So lots of random-ness to blog about today. And I forgot, again, to post my Menu Plan Monday. But really, I don’t have a set plan this week. I have food I can make, but we’re just flying by the seat of our pants this week, I think. I host Bunco on Thursday so we’ll be doing lots of cleaning around the house before then, but John also leaves for Brazil on Sunday so there’s lots for him to get ready for that as well. We’ll be real busy this week!

·         In case you’re interested, here’s the list of things I have that I could cook this week: leftover Taco Soup, chili cheese dogs, fish and beets, and spaghetti. I’ll be making kabobs for Bunco (steak, potatoes, tomatoes, and zucchini) along with some pasta salad, Caeser salad, and a mint chocolate chip ice cream dessert, chips and veggies and dips for appetizers and my “drink of the month” is called Nantucket Lemonade. If it tastes good, I’ll post the recipe. It looks like it would be yummy.

·         I got my contacts on Saturday. I have this trial pair until next Saturday when I go back to see how they’re working out. They’ve been okay so far. Today is the first day I’m wearing them all day at work. And they’ve actually been bothering me quite a bit. They feel dry, but drops only help for a few minutes. I sometimes feel like I still can’t focus right. So I don’t know. It almost seems like my astigmatism is bad enough that it’s bothering me, but not bad enough I can get contacts to correct it. Maybe I just HAVE to keep my glasses if that’s the case. Unless there’s a better contact out there for me. What I have now are the Baush & Lombe (sp?) PureVision. I don’t know. We’ll see I guess.

·         John went and got his iPhone today. I’m so jealous. I looked up info on wireless plans with AT&T. It’s much more expensive than my Verizon plan which is a real bummer. For MORE money, I get LESS features than on my current plan so I’m not too thrilled about that. But they do have rollover which is kind of nice. I mean, it would be way better if after a certain point of banking minutes you could like cash them in for something. That would be SWEET. But if I stay with Verizon there’s a lot more risk of going over my allotted minutes if John’s going to be gone as much as he thinks he is, which will cost even MORE if we start paying by the minute! Think AT&T will cut me a deal based on the features I get on my Verizon plan??

·         I had my “micro-management” meeting with Austin this morning. Made me nervous because he made it a closed door meeting. Apparently, me not getting back with him Wednesday or Thursday like we had discussed did not make him too happy. Well, at least he admitted to the fact that he was micro-managing. Turns out, though I think he went about it in the wrong way, he’s having these meetings with me in an attempt to make me more efficient at my “daily duties” so that I have more time to work on bigger and better things that the other estimators don’t get to be involved in. He wants me to be more than I am and is trying to help me grow to continue to move back up. But really, it just seemed like he hadn’t been happy with my performance and was “watching” me more closely. At least, that’s how I saw it. But we talked it out and I better understand now. It’s just so hard now still being in the position I’m in. I know he values my work and really wishes that I could be doing more than I’m doing, but the market just won’t allow for it right now. Which sucks for me. But it’s still making it that much harder to keep the right frame of mind. It’s a vicious cycle. I can definitely tell that I’m slipping lately. But if I were to move back up, I’d perk up in no time. But if I continue to slip, I’ll be less likely to move back up.  I wonder if would be this hard right now if I hadn’t ever been moved up in the first place. Ugh…

·         We’ve got Cardio Salsa tonight, thank God. John and I went out for Blizzards last night. Shame on us, I know. At least we both got smalls!

·         If you’ve been following my tweets, you already know about the freaking chirping smoke detectors. STILL chirping. I think it’s even starting to bother the dogs. I slept with earplugs in last night! I just don’t understand. The one in our bedroom is the one that was chirping every minute a few weeks ago which prompted us to change out the batteries. Then they all started chirping, so we changed out all 5 batteries. To no avail. We ended up just taking them all down. We tried to put them back up yesterday and they’re all still chirping EXCEPT the one in our bedroom!!  AGGGHHH!!!!  WHY!!??? I sent in a warranty request on it. I’m sure they’re not under warranty anymore, but I told them they, at the very least, need to provide us with some advice on what to do. It just does not make any sense.

·         Didn’t I say I had lots to blog about?

·         I had a pretty productive weekend. We did a bunch of shopping on Friday. Got John a bunch of new clothes for vacation. I worked on some organizing Saturday and John worked on the lawn. We went to dinner with friends and then to see The Hangover. Ohmygosh, it was sooooo funny!!! What a great night! John went in to work yesterday so I did more around the house and ran some errands. My parents came over to bring me my old desk that they didn’t want anymore. So we switched it out with the little writing table I was using as my “hobby” desk. It worked out great since this desk has drawers so I was able to put all my bead stuff and other “hobby” things IN the desk and out of sight when not in use!! My mom also helped me decide on paint colors for the rest of the upstairs rooms. I had bought all these samples of colors and never got around to painting any of them. So we figured out, of those colors, which ones should go in which rooms. And it worked out perfectly. I wish I could take off work for an entire week just to stay home and finish all the painting we have to do. We’re going to hire someone to do the entry and upstairs hallway and ceiling, but I still have to do (by myself) three bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and the ceilings in all those rooms. Fun, huh? Wanna come help??  :o)

·         Umm…okay, I should probably stop talking. This got REALLY long. But I had 3 days to catch up on! And I had to give myself a MUCH needed break from work for a bit. My brain hurts!!  **sigh** Only 1 ½ more hours…