Thursday, May 28, 2009

And indecisions...

Am I too old to still not know what I want to be when I grow up??

John and I had a long discussion last night about my career and how I’m miserable in my current job and want to do something different, but I don’t know what. (This was after he came home, saw me on the computer and asked what I was doing. “Looking for a new job,” I responded.) Remember my post about a vet tech? Or maybe I’ll become a home stager. Or maybe go back to school and become an accountant. Why stop at vet tech when I could just go on to become an actual vet? These are the kinds of things we discussed.

John thought I should become a veterinarian. Or a nurse. I could make good money doing those things. I also would need a lot more school. But I don’t think I can manage 6 more years of school and $125,000+ to become a vet. (I told John it’s all my mom’s fault that I’m not currently a vet already. That was my original career choice, but she persuaded me to follow architecture, which led to construction, and now a job I don’t like anymore…but that’s a story for another time.) And I don’t think I’d be a very good nurse. I do better with animals than humans. I’m weird, I know. Plus I pass out having my blood taken…think I could take someone else’s blood? Either way, I doubt I would be good at that. And that would be another 4 years of school for a BS in Nursing.

That’s why I first thought of vet tech. Not too much more schooling and it’s working with animals. I think I could be good at that and I would enjoy it. However, it would be paying for 2 more years of school to make roughly half the salary I make right now. John doesn’t think that’s the most economical choice.

Okay, what about accounting? I like numbers. I’m good at math. I could make good money. So that’s where I am right now. Considering going back to school for accounting. I could a) get a MS in Accounting which would require the 36 hours of graduate coursework, plus some pre-reqs that I don’t currently have since my BS in NOT in accounting or business or b) get a Certificate in Accounting which means roughly 30 hours of coursework to make me eligible for the CPA exam. Saying I pass that exam, I could be a CPA without having a MS and the CA program is geared towards working people with classes at night and on weekends. And it’s much cheaper as they charge you the undergraduate rates for the 30 hours instead of the graduate rates since I’m not actually pursuing a graduate degree. Nice. Oh, and this is just at our local UofH…I really don’t feel like searching around at a ton of schools to find something else.

That would be much more economical seeing as John also wants to go back for his MBA and his company will only reimburse roughly half of the cost of that.

So. What do you think? I am so full of questions lately! I’m completely indecisive about my life right now, can you tell? I just don’t have tons of real life experience yet. I don’t know how to go about changing careers…or starting a family…or making big decisions like that. But I feel it’s about time for me to learn. I’m ready.

4 comments:

Valerie said...

I don't think you're too old to not know what you want to be. I'm just a few years younger than you and I still don't know either.

I think the CPA things sounds cool and you would definitely be good at it. I think you should figure out if you want to go back to school while trying to get pregnant. That's a lot of stress to take on while you're trying to have a baby - especially with the stuff you've mentioned. I don't know - just a thought.

I think if you're unhappy and the CPA thing interests you then why not. Especially since you don't have kids and you're not currently pregnant. Now's a better time than ever!

I'm your friend and I'll help see you through whatever you decide to do :)

ME said...

You have been thinking this through which is fantastic. I have to agree with Mrs.C on the whole going back to school and pregnancy planning. Stress does funny things to your body which may cause you problems. I wish you the best in your decision. Go with what makes you happy.

Jaime said...

it's definitely okay not to know what you want to do at this point! you'll figure it out. think about what makes you happy and go for it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think a lot of people really know what they want to do until they have been working for a while and get an idea of what they like doing!