Thursday, April 16, 2009

Genius organizing idea!!

I thought up a genius idea yesterday and now only wish I had a ton of free time to implement it properly!!  Okay, so I am one of those people that holds onto all the magazines that have good articles because one day, I just might look back at it.  This causes me to have stashes of old magazines all over the house which adds to the clutter which I wish I had less of.  I have read tips on how to organize things like this which usually consist of tearing out the articles I want and putting them together in a divided binder.  Many times I have planned on doing this because it makes perfect sense.  Say I am wondering one day what is a good way to deodorize the garbage disposal.  I could go to my binder, flip to “Cleaning” and find the right article.  Well, this method still requires use of an “object” that still needs to be stored somewhere.  I would much rather have fewer “things”.  So, my idea, is to scan the articles into the computer and save them in a master “Magazine Archive” folder separated into subfolders for all the different categories, “Cleaning”, “Organizing”, “Gardening”, etc.  Brilliant, isn’t it?! 

My husband actually started doing this with all his car magazines.  Unfortunately he has less time than I do to accomplish it all.  He did do a great job though in finally going through all the magazines and tearing out all the articles he wanted to keep (which is a MUCH smaller pile than all the magazines were!).  He hasn’t gotten through scanning much of them in, but it’s a start.  Now, I desperately want to do this with all of MY magazines!  First task, I guess would be to go around the house and collect all the miscellaneous piles of magazines scattered around and put them all together in one location.  Then, each week, I can start slowly going back through them all and tearing out all the articles I would like to keep (and then recycling the magazines, of course) and keep them separated by category as I go through them.  Then once I get through all the magazines I can start scanning them.

Oh, to only be able to stay home everyday…

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I know! Don't you wish we could be at home all day to easily accomplish all of this?? I did something similar to this but I use composition notebooks by category. It may not be the best way but that's what I've been doing. I've fallen off the wagon with it as time is precious and hard to come by but in theory it's good lol. Speaking of which though I should try to do some clipping soon!!!!