Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Weeknight Pizza Casserole

Even though I didn’t feel too good last night, I did make my Weeknight Pizza Casserole. I knew if I didn’t make it last night, I wouldn’t have time any other night this week and I would starve! When I was first looking at the recipe, I knew it would make way more than the 4 serving 8x8 pan it called for. So, I tried to put it in a 7x11 pan to make 6 servings. I hadn’t even put the sauce, cheese, or breading topping and it almost filled up that dish. So I transferred it over to a 9x13. It was a little thin in that size pan, so it seems it might work out better in like a casserole pan (like a medium sized Corningware, maybe). Even so, I’ll probably get at least 6 or 7 servings out of it as it’s very meat heavy so it fills you up pretty good. Seeing as my favorite pizza is pepperoni with black olives, I was super excited to try this recipe out. I quite enjoyed it and thought it had a great taste. Here is the recipe if you would like to try it out for yourself!

1lb ground beef

1 (3oz) pkg pepperoni (I used turkey pepperoni)

1 (2 1/4 oz) can sliced black olives (I used 2 cans since I LOVE black olives)

Optional sliced bell pepper (I omitted since I do not like bell peppers)

1 (14oz) jar pizza sauce

1 (8oz) pkg mozzarella cheese (I used an Italian blend)

3/4c. biscuit mix

1c. milk

2 eggs, lightly beaten

Brown ground beef and drain. Stir in pepperoni and black olives. Transfer to lightly greased 8x8 pan (I used 9x13, I swear this would overflow an 8x8). Pour sauce over mixture and spread evenly. Sprinkle cheese over. Mix biscuit mix, milk, and eggs together in separate bowl, stirring until smooth. Pour evenly over casserole. Bake 30-35min. (until golden) at 400. Let sit 5min. before serving.

My biscuit mix mixture was pretty runny, but I poured it over as it was which turned out nice because it ran in through all the cracks so it was almost like having a very thin crust on the top and the bottom which I liked. Based on the ingredients I used, this whole casserole came out to be 61 WW points, or roughly 10/svg if I end up with 6 servings. You could probably cut the ground beef and cheese in half to lower the total points, but it would probably also cut down on the amount of servings you could get too. I really like it though and it was pretty easy. I think I will make this again, but I’ll have to do a half and half since Husband does not like black olives so he might get mushrooms on his half.

Enjoy!

No comments: